Issue date: 2016-03-11
1. What's Included in This Update
The new packages for Virtuozzo 6 introduce new features and provide stability and usability fixes for virtual machine and Container management tools and Virtuozzo Storage.
2. New Features
- VzLinux replaces CloudLinux as base distribution. From this update on, Virtuozzo 6 is based on the VzLinux distribution supported by Virtuozzo.
- Support for the WebSocket protocol over SSL for VNC connections. Virtuozzo virtual machines or containers can now be managed remotely via HTML5-based VNC consoles.
- Support for Docker 1.8.3 in Virtuozzo containers (experimental).
- Support for OpenShift v1.1.1, Kubernetes v1.2.0, and cAdvisor v0.20.5 in Virtuozzo containers.
- Support for Fedora 23 and Ubuntu 15.10 in virtual machines. Now Virtuozzo 6 supports Fedora 23 (see also Article #2509715) and Ubuntu 15.10 guest operating systems in virtual machines in addition to containers (support for which was added in previous updates).
3. Bug Fixes
- Default mtime granularity could result in chunk servers switching between active/inactive states in Virtuozzo Storage. (PSBM-20411)
- Running 'service network restart' could reset configuration set with vznetcfg. (PSBM-20547)
- Temporary snapshots left after backup operations could result in snapshot inconsistency and further backup failures. (PSBM-33414)
- Failure of vzmdest with a segfault during migration could result in stopping of the dispatcher and all VMs on the destination host. (PSBM-34986)
- After restoring a VM with an external HDD from backup, the external HDD could be not reattached to the VM on startup. (PSBM-39010)
- A memory leak in the vza_conf process could potentially affect performance of a host running a large amount of containers. (PSBM-39469)
- Backing up VMs with inconsistent configurations could result in dispatcher crash. (PSBM-39939)
- Excessive amount of lookup/stat events generated for subscribers to VE performance statistics could result in excessive load on host. (PSBM-41481)
- Crash in restore_one_vfsmount() on restoring shared non-master mounts. (PSBM-42471)
- On RHEL7-based guest operating systems, guest tools could become unusable after a kernel or tools update. (PSBM-42621)
- Hanging of iptables during execution could result in hanging of the dispatcher as well. (PSBM-42634)
- Introduced FADV_DEACTIVATE flag in fadvise() to be able to move file pages from the active to the inactive list. (PSBM-42664)
- Race between keyctl_read() and keyctl_revoke() could crash the host. (PSBM-43799, CVE-2015-7550)
- Under certain circumstances, backup/restore via CBT interface could hang the host. (PSBM-43936)
- Second-level quota in simfs containers was broken in 042stab113.x kernels. (OVZ-6655)
- A number of other bugs (PSBM-21205, PSBM-34381, PSBM-34382, PSBM-38735, PSBM-38938, PSBM-40083, PSBM-40807, PSBM-41282, PSBM-42665, PSBM-42898, PSBM-31245, PSBM-42225, PSBM-42831, PSBM-42834).
5. Known Issues
- The 'prlctl' utility does not support some of the Container operations supported by 'vzctl' in the previous versions of Parallels Server Bare Metal. To perform such operations, use the 'vzctl' utility instead of 'prlctl'.
- The offline management feature does not work for Containers operating in the bridged networking mode. For details, see the KB article at Article #2509680.
- The offline management feature might not work for running virtual machines that operate in the bridged networking mode. The reason for this is that the destination MAC address in incoming offline management packets is changed when the packets are processed on the host. As a result, the processed packets contain a source MAC address different from the destination one in incoming packets and might be dropped by your router. To solve the problem, reconfigure the router to accept packets with the same IP address but different MAC addresses. As an alternative, you can set the network adapter of a virtual machine to operate in the host-routed mode.
- Cannot establish IPsec connections from Virtuozzo Hardware Node to Containers. For more information, see Article #2352872.
- Containers with multiple virtual hard disks cannot be backed up or restored via Virtual Automation or using the 'vzabackup'/'vzarestore' commands.
- An issue in the e1000 network driver may cause network on Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1 virtual machines to stop working. For more details, see Article #2509713.
- Converting a Hyper-V virtual machine to a virtual machine may fail. To work around the problem, use the '--allow-no-os' option when converting the virtual machine. (PSBM-7201)
- Creating a virtual machine in Virtuozzo 6 set up in a Parallels Desktop for Mac virtual machine may take a long time. (PSBM-8528)
- Use of the WMI console is not supported in Windows virtual machines that you enter with the 'prlctl enter' command. For more information on how to work around the problem, see Article #2509673. (PSBM-9811)
- A Linux virtual machine with less than 4 GB of RAM may hang on startup. To work around the problem, use the 'iommu=soft' option when booting the virtual machine. For details, see Article #2509672. (PSBM-11807)
- Creating snapshots of a Container that has at least one 'prlctl enter' or 'prlctl exec' session open is not supported. To make a snapshot, close the open sessions first. (PSBM-11871)
- Xen virtual machines cannot be migrated to virtual machines. (PSBM-12122)
- Virtuozzo may freeze a Container trying to consume more disk space than you allocated to it. To solve the problem, increase the amount of disk space for the affected Container. (PSBM-12213)
- The Bash 'echo' command does not report an error when trying to write to a file located on a Virtuozzo Storage cluster, even if the cluster does not have enough free space. (PSBM-12621)
- Soft lockups in the Linux kernel, up to version 2.6.37, may occur on stopping virtual machines. For more information, see Article #2509671. (PSBM-13963)
- Traffic shaping may not work for bridged virtual network adapters on physical servers with Open vSwitch enabled. (PSBM-14260)
- It is impossible to use the iptables functionality on physical servers with Open vSwitch bridges enabled. (PSBM-14334)
- On systems upgraded from Parallels Server 4 Bare Metal to Virtuozzo 6, 'prlctl list –a' may not show the IP addresses of container-bridged network adapters. To view such IP addresses, use the 'vzlist –o IP' command. (PSBM-14528)
- Running virtual machines with Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 is supported only on servers that have CPUs with the NX (No-eXecute) feature enabled. For details, see Article #2509685. (PSBM-14837)
- Setting encrypted passwords for containers that run Ubuntu 10.04 is not supported. To work around the problem, set the password in plain text. For more details, see Article #2509670. (PSBM-14886)
- Backing up a virtual machine with large virtual disks stored on an LVM partition may take a long time. (PSBM-14971)
- Running the Iometer tool in a virtual machine with Windows and a small amount of RAM may cause the virtual machine to crash. To work around the problem, increase the amount of RAM or swap allocated to the virtual machine. (PSBM-15403)
- The ebtables rules are flushed after restarting the ebtables service. (PSBM-15641)
- Creating a cache with updates may fail for containers that run Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. (PSBM-15707)
- Cannot migrate a Container with over 2TB of data to a virtual machine. (PSBM-21613)
- On 32-bit Linux guest operating systems, the maximum size of a virtual hard disk was limited to 17592186040320 bytes (16 TiB - 4 KiB). (PSBM-22193)
- Migration of physical Linux hosts which use EFI and GPT to virtual machines is not supported. (PSBM-24118)
- Cannot resize plain virtual hard disks with the --resize_partition option. (PSBM-26377)
- Cannot migrate Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Windows 4.5 hardware nodes to virtual machines. (PSBM-29576)
- The 'vzctl' utility does not recognize backups attached to virtual machines or Containers. (PSBM-29752)
- Virtual machine configurations with both EFI firmware and SCSI BusLogic controllers enabled are not supported. (PSBM-30537)
- Resizing disk of a virtual machine with Fedora 23 guest OS fails with internal error. (PSBM-43054)
6. Deprecated Features
Features considered deprecated will be removed in the next major release of Virtuozzo. They will, however, work and remain supported in Virtuozzo 6. The following features are deprecated:
- The Virtuozzo file system (VZFS). For more information, see Article #2352875.
- Migration of physical servers to Containers and migration of Xen virtual machines to virtual machines. For more information, see Article #2352874.
- The 'vzbackup', 'vzabackup', and 'pbackup' utilities. For more information, see Article #2352873.
- The global iptables mask configured in '/etc/sysconfig/vz'.
- All UBC resources except 'physpages' and 'swappages'.
- The 'vziptables' parameter configured in the kickstart file used for unattended installations of Virtuozzo.
- Virtual Automation Agent (Virtuozzo Virtualization SDK will be used instead).
All Virtuozzo 6 users are advised to update their tools packages.
7. Obtaining the Update
You can download and install the update using the yum utility included in the Virtuozzo 6 distribution.
Copyright (c) 1999-2016 Parallels IP Holdings GmbH and its affiliates. All rights reserved.